We all (hopefully!) have a trip or two planned to escape the winter season. As much as we all want to relax and have some fun in the sun, it is too easy to go into 'holiday mode' as soon as we step foot in the airport, letting the hard work we put in to prepare for our vacation go down the drain.
Enter Life Hack #2: Five easy ways to get active before your next flight! Just because everyone else is sitting around trolling the internet on their phones while waiting for their flight doesn't mean you have to as well :-) With wide open spaces, a plethora of benches, and a few staircases, airports have endless opportunities to get active during a layover. Yes people may look at you funny. But they may also think how smart you are to use this limbo-time to invest in your health - you may even inspire a few to join you! Here are a couple of ideas to get you started:
1. Simple stretching: sometimes all we need to get the circulation flowing before a long flight is to stretch it out. This can easily be done at your gate before boarding.
2. Stairs: You can usually find an empty set of stairs since everyone uses the escalators to lug their carry-ons around. Why not take advantage and walk or run up and down the staircase a few times?
3. Muscle strengthening: Every gate has tons of chairs/benches/railings to do tricep dips, pushups, and leg raises. We had a little fun with the extra pushup challenge in this photo, but you can also turn this around and put your hands on the railing to do some incline pushups.
4. Yoga: Why not find a quiet spot and bust out some sun salutations while you wait to reach your sun destination?
5. Meditation: Travelling can often be super stressful; it is important to be mindful of this and to take care of your mental wellbeing as much as your physical health. While in that quiet spot you found for your yoga moves, sit down, close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths.
The next time you find yourself stuck in an airport bored out of your mind waiting for your flight, try a couple of these exercises - it will help pass the time, get your blood circulating for that long flight, and keep you motivated to stay healthy during your vacation!
Katie is wearing the L'URV Stone Temple Crop and the Alo Yoga Moto Leggings.